Sunday, August 30, 2015

Langkawi Island - The Arrival

I started planning for my mid-August Langkawi trip about three weeks before. I like to plan ahead so that I can go on vacation hassle free. I arrived in Langkawi later in the afternoon. The plan for the first day was to just laze at the beach.

After collecting my luggage upon arrival at Langkawi airport, I headed for the taxi booth, which was located near the exit. I told the lady that I needed a cab to Holiday Villa, paid RM22 and was given a ticket with a taxi number on it. I walked out, saw the taxi, gave the driver the receipt. He helped me with my luggage, I got in to the taxi and we were on our way. This is pretty much the S.O.P. at most (if not all) Malaysian airports. Taxis in Langkawi is not metered. They charge a fixed flat rate from one destination to another, so you don't have to worry about being ripped off. The ride to the hotel took about 15 minutes.

Check in at Holiday Villa Beach Resort & Spa (HV) was smooth and quick. The superior room was spacious and cosy. After unpacking and changing I headed for the beach. That was the big plan for the day -- just laze at the beach. The warm sea water was relaxing and I could feel the stress melting away.


At the beach.

A photo posted by Muslim Travel Stories (@muslimtravelstories) on


Later on, I headed back to my room to shower and get ready for dinner. The LaVilla restaurant offers a candle-lit, barbecue buffet dinner every Saturday, Monday and Wednesday. So I decided to check it out. After all, I can never say no to barbecue. I sat outside so that I can enjoy the evening sea view.

Dinner view.

A photo posted by Muslim Travel Stories (@muslimtravelstories) on


I decided to start healthy -- the salad. I don't remember which dressing I had with my salad (oh dear!), but it was good. Then I had some rice with sambal prawn and baked potatoes. The rice was nice. The potatoes were baked to perfection. The sambal prawn was neither hot nor spicy. Why call it sambal?

Barbecue dinner at La Villa Restaurant. Worth paying RM75.

A photo posted by Muslim Travel Stories (@muslimtravelstories) on


Next, the barbecue! That's satay, grilled lamb with herbs, chicken teriyaki and grilled prawns. All delicious except for the prawns, which wasn't fresh, which was disappointing. Langkawi is an island, after all. Lastly, the desserts. Vanilla ice cream, creme brulee, and fruit tart. All delicious. The creme brule was like... OMG awesome -- definitely one of the best I've had. The barbecue buffet was worth the RM75 price tag.

I went back to my room, posted a few photos on FB, played a few games and read a little before going to bed. The following day was going to be a busy day

No comments:

Post a Comment

Penang Aquarium (Akuarium Tunku Abdul Rahman)

This aquarium is run by the Fisheries Department. The entry fee is only MYR5. It's small compared to Langkawi Aquarium, but still wor...